Monday, October 29, 2012

Holiday in Oz

Everyone loves baby llamas!  At least I think that's what they are since it's a little late to be shearing sheep.


This is where I tell you all how awesome my husband is.  Seriously, he is the best thing.  I don't brag on him nearly as much as I should.  I've been...lonely.  There, I said the words out loud to someone other than the Scarecrow.  Bless his heart, he came home from work one day and I sort of melted down.  Poor guy, he really didn't see it coming.  So I've been trying to keep myself busy outside of the house.  The Dooradoyle library and I have become excellent friends over the past couple of weeks.  Some days it's easier to get out of the house than others, especially on the days that the Scarecrow has to take the car to work.  I know it's not uncommon for expats to feel like this.  Anyone that moves to a new city I'm sure deals with trying to find their place in it.  I'm pretty sure "Eat, Pray, Love" is one of my new favorite books and there is a line that said, "Happiness is the consequence of personal efforts".  So this is me, making a personal effort.  I went to IKEA in Dublin with a couple of ladies from church this week which was a great excuse to do something different.  Had a really great time with them and it reminded me how much I love IKEA.  I didn't expect this move to be easy.  Easy or not, it's completely worth it to be in the same place as Scarecrow.

Fun Irish tid-bit for the week: Bank Holiday Mondays.  It's a free day basically, random holidays tossed in throughout the year for reasons that no one really seems to understand.  Mind you, my day has been pretty similar to any other.  The only special thing I did was bake bread.  Good news, it's delicious.  

 
But Scarecrow is off work this week and only had to take 4 days holiday because of today.  Score!  We're heading up to Donegal for a couple days which we're really excited about. Pictures to come!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Halley. Having been an expat for awhile myself, I understand what that loneliness can feel like, so I wish you the best of luck and hope that those moments come less and less over time :)
    Have a wonderful time in Donegal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't an expat, but I was a foreign exchange student, so I know a little bit what you were feeling. My parents and I liked to call it "cultural overload" because I didn't want to come home, but I did need something familiar.I was usually able to get out of it with a good talk with family and then ditching school for a day to visit the temple in Madrid. Even just an hour on temple grounds helped me refocus.

    ReplyDelete